View Single Post
Old 2 Apr 2012, 19:26 (Ref:3052458)   #2
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovef1 View Post
P.s I may have not won, but i didn't come last, which is an improvement....
And that's excellent. Small improvements each time and by the end of the season it'll add up to a big improvement.

OK, this is what happend to me when I started in karts: I'm overtaken by a good driver in a corner but I have a better line so we have the same momentum onto the next straight. I'm right behind him into the next corner, I brake the same amount as him, carry the same speed into the corner, he gets round...... and I spin out. "How come?" I ask.

Wind forward several seasons: I overtake a new driver onto a straight but have to go the long way round so lose some momentum. He's right behind me as we get to the next corner. I'm thinking "don't try to take this corner at the speed I do fella, you won't make it." So I dab the brake, turn in, and take the corner. I get round. He spins off.

Why? Because I know exactly how much grip there is and where, how to ride the bumps, how much the front and back end will drift, and exactly how much steering and throttle to apply where and when to get round. How do I know these things? Because I've driven that corner a hundred times before, that's how!

Patience and practice.