Old 16 Dec 2007, 10:08 (Ref:2089841)   #23
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJM
They never raced in Quebec. The Andros Thropy is only driven in France. The FIA International IceRacing Championship (or something) went to Quebec. This was the FIA's attempt to compete with the Andros. But it flopped, I think they only organised it two or three times.
The I.R.S.I. (Ice Racing Series International) was just FIA recognised/authorised, not a "FIA attempt to compete with Andros" (BTW, Andros is established and ruled by former Rallycross ace and French champion Max Mamers!). It was the attempt of Chamonix 24h organiser Franz Hummel to put up a world series in the footsteps of his own race at Chamonix. And the Chamonix 24h (actually 6 heats of 40 minutes driven clockwise and anti-clockwise within 24 hours, two in the night from Saturday till Sunday) was the event where people like Rolf "Myggan" Nilsson/René Metge (they used the Porsche 911 BiTurbo 4x4 of John Greasley), Terje Schie/Philippe Gache (Schie’s Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 E2) and other RX regulars took part. While my friend/colleague Johnny Loix followed IRSI (some pics can be found in his older RX calendars) I was twice at Chamonix to cover the 24h for my mags and newspapers.

Apropos: I did this story http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisrennen on several forms of Ice Racing for the German speaking Wikipedia.