View Single Post
Old 25 Mar 2005, 00:47 (Ref:1261210)   #7
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Zef, Bert, ok sorry, I didn't really explain the question properly. I have done a bit of fibreglassing and have made moulds for small parts, but as Zef says, for anything of a decent size a timber frame is usually needed to keep the shape. Bert, that thing with a subframe could easily be done and I've done similar myself, but can't be used for a large flat shape like a bonnet because its too flexible to hold it to the right shape without a support frame. No, what I'm looking for is a more modern approach for one-off large moulds... eg, I heard of one chap who covered a boot lid in a thin layer of latex, then squirted cavity wall foam all over it to a good thickness to hold the shape. I only saw the result, which was a boot lid with every detail of the lock and trim etc., reproduced exactly in fibreglass. What I don't know is what sort of release agent he used on the original panel and then before the fibreglass was laid in. Any thoughts?