Old 25 Mar 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1261346)   #8
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
Zef, Bert, ok sorry, I didn't really explain the question properly. I have done a bit of fibreglassing and have made moulds for small parts, but as Zef says, for anything of a decent size a timber frame is usually needed to keep the shape. Bert, that thing with a subframe could easily be done and I've done similar myself, but can't be used for a large flat shape like a bonnet because its too flexible to hold it to the right shape without a support frame. No, what I'm looking for is a more modern approach for one-off large moulds... eg, I heard of one chap who covered a boot lid in a thin layer of latex, then squirted cavity wall foam all over it to a good thickness to hold the shape. I only saw the result, which was a boot lid with every detail of the lock and trim etc., reproduced exactly in fibreglass. What I don't know is what sort of release agent he used on the original panel and then before the fibreglass was laid in. Any thoughts?
It is important when making a supporting wooden frame to laminate it to the mould after the mould has cured completely, remove the original then put it back to retain the shape then make the frame, otherwise stresses created will show in the finished product. I like the foam idea, but only as a strengthener for a laminated mould.