View Single Post
Old 20 Nov 2009, 22:43 (Ref:2586092)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
I didn't say anything about Ganassi paying to design a new car.

If this Bowlby dude is an ex-Lola designer on Ganassi's payroll, he's a rich guy with not much to do and access to tools to design whatever he wants. So he can pull a Bill Gates, build some three wheeler in his boss' tunnel and sell it to IRL. He can also get Curt Cavin to write "news" about him if he needs to attract investors.

How a new V6 turbo is going to fit in a three wheeler is his problem.

Izod sells clothes, not IndyCars. They spent a ton of money last year on advertising and "activations", a whole lot more than anyone ever heard of or paid attention to. So next year they will spend a few million more, and throw some chump change at the teams on top of that. That will sell a lot more rags and attract a few more fans.

If they were putting a large amount of their investment towards the ICS, Reay would already have a new seat poured. They're clothiers with a large marketing budget, period. It they don't see big ROI they'll walk post haste.
Unfortunately my connection moved onto other employment otherwise I'd really know what was going on there in the tunnel and at ganassi. Sounds like a silly concept to me.

Usually the more outrageous the rumors get the worse shape a particular business is in.

You can bet there are out clauses in that izod contract and apparently there are.

Ultimately I think it does about zero to attract new fans. Izod is not exactly the most popular clothing line out there and I doubt someone is going to buy an izod shirt and suddenly become an indy fan.

If the product is crap, which IMO it is, putting indycar logos on izod shirts is not going to develop a whole new fanbase. It's nice if you are out there "activating" your sponsorship but only if you have people to activate to.