View Single Post
Old 27 Dec 2007, 21:05 (Ref:2095504)   #11
rex g
Rookie

rex g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is an old message thread but I thought I'd reply anyway. Tony Dron is indeed alive and well and I just got a Christmas email from him. Contact me direct and give me your email and I'll send it on to him.
The Broadspeed cars were transferred to Gerry Marshall Racing for the 1979 race season, with Gerry driving Tony Dron's car and me (Rex Greenslade) in John Fitzpatrick's car, all in Triplex Racing with Esso and Motor colors. Gerry's/Tony's car was totalled in his famous British GP shunt when punted by Tom Walkinshaw coming into Club Corner. I'm not sure if that was rebuilt or whether a new car was created for the balance of the season. At the end of the year the cars (Gerry subsequently told me) were sold to a team in the Netherlands. I have no more information beyond that.
Of all the cars I drove in my fairly short (9-year) race career the Dolomite Sprint was my favorite. They were fast, fantastic to drive as long as you didn't overdrive them and liked a touch of oversteer and could cope with lousy brakes - we were always struggling to make the tiny brakes last and I had to pump the brake pedal with my left foot into every corner to get a firm pedal before jumping off the throttle and braking with my right foot. Despite these shortcomings it was much more fun than the Rover 3500 I drove the following two years and gave me two of my most important wins.
Rex Greenslade