Old 9 Jun 2010, 09:11 (Ref:2707144)   #22
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJM View Post
You know, back in the good ol' days they didn't need 10 minutes to clean a one-car incident. But that was when they handled a full rallycross weekend of 90+ cars on a single day, instead of hours and hours of lunchbreaks.
Also I don't remember that they used to drive so agressively back then. Nowadays they drive eachother in the wall without even thinking about it, see Hunsbedt at Lydden and the Russians at Nyirad for example.
When I began following RX in the mid 1970s nearly everywhere in Europe the first qualifying heat started at 13.00h on Sunday, later it was changed on most venues to 11.00h. In Germany and some other countries they had 100+ entries to handle – and managed to do so! I’ve even attended RX events with 120+ starters. To split the event over Saturday and Sunday started in the UK and Norway, charging the people more money was the main point. For me another reason that RX lost a lot of spectators. Instead of one day packed with action, action, action the weekends are sometimes pretty boring. In America they know and understand that most people can only kept following things for four or five hours with 100% interest and full atentiveness, therefore they do mainly very compact events over there. But in RX Europe this will possibly ignored forever…