View Single Post
Old 29 Jul 2011, 05:50 (Ref:2932338)   #45
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurner_fan View Post
The car would have to run without a limited slip diff, use 4.5" rims and have a slightly narrower track than the post-63 cars but, yes, it should still be an OK drive. The chassis would be the same i.e. a huge improvement over the Mk2/2a arrangement. The engine would have to use the slightly smaller 40 DCOE Webers rather than the 45 DCOEs on the MkIII 1800 but it would be allowed to run the alloy crossflow head, just like the 1962 Le Mans cars.

Attached is a sheet which, amongst other data, has a summary of the key differences between the various Grantura homologations. It came from quite a few years ago as can be seen by the typeface!
Jim.
I note your comments regarding wheelbase? I was only aware of 2 derivatives of the thurner designed chassis, IE that fitted to cars up to and including the Vixen S1 and the later LWB chassis first fitted under the Tuscan V8 which later formed the Vixen S2 chassis with a 4" wheelbase stretch.

When you discuss a slightly longer wheelbase between 1800s and MK3 Grantura models are you referring to a pick up point / castor angle change within the original chassis dimensions? i wasn't aware that the chassis on the early thurner cars had changed apart from the adoption of tubular lower wishbones with the 1800S in place of triumph versions??

N.