View Single Post
Old 29 Jul 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2932591)   #49
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurner_fan View Post
Actually, I now see that you are quite right. That was an error in my earlier post when I referred to the MkIV 1800S. The wheelbase didn't change until later with the S2 Vixen, it was just the engine and gearbox that moved slightly forward. Sorry about that, my knowledge of Granturas starts to fade out once we get past December 1965!

Interesting point you make about the possible reason for the different tracks. Useful info for anyone considering builing a 1622cc Grantura MkIII for pre-63 racing.

TF
the longer chassis actually did come in in 1967 / 68 with the TVR tuscan Widebody, possibly the trident before that! The Tuscan pre-dated the S2 vixen by a small margin. I have never seen one but there are rumoured to be 3 possibly 4 cars in this country with an unknown number in the states. The Longer chassis was also Bonded into the bodywork as per all the earlier cars.

The holy grail of TVR and a car I would like to see one day as the genuine forerunner of the M series cars on the last incarnation of the thurner chassis.

N.