View Single Post
Old 29 Oct 2016, 20:03 (Ref:3683898)   #2
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
I just listened to Midweek Motorsport about Audi's exit from WEC and top level sportscar racing. Suddenly it felt like this truly is the end of an era, and this is why.

I think this is where LMP1 start to fade away.

Let's look at how ACO have promoted LMP3, and how popular it have become. It's a cost limited formula, while still being a prototype race car.

Let's look at how ACO have decided to limit the multitude of machines and technological development that was happening in LMP2 in favour of a limited about of chassis options, and engine.

Let's look at how LMP1 privateer teams have lobbies for some way to get some kind of reason for them to be on the grid together with the factories, and ACO's response have caused Rebellion to leave. If that's not a big vote of no-confidence I'm not sure what is.

Let's look at the LMP2 teams that have expressed an interest in stepping up to LMP1. See above.

Let's look at one of the most expensive cock ups in marketing and race program efforts ever, Nissan LMP1. Not only did they spend stupid amounts of money on advertising, they also according to some voices never even tested their car with the hybrid system functioning before going racing! That was probably the best way ever to make bean counters think a top level sports car effort would be wasted money.

Add this up and I wonder why anyone would start a LMP1 program.

I think the future is LMP2 (pro) and LMP3 (pro-am) together on track, as LMP1 fades away.

What do you think?
That certainly can be the case but the ACO would have to get rid of the spec LMP2 format as quick as they brought it in. The DPI concept is looking pretty good right now eh? Personally I would love to see some sort of GT1 era to come back if at all possible. At the moment though, the GTE cars can't cut it because they just dont have enough straight away speed. So that needs to happen first in that regard.

I am glad to see the Audi withdraw myself. A shake up is what is needed I think to keep things from getting to boring. Half the fun with sportscar racing is the specutainment as the radiolemans.com folks like to call it.