View Single Post
Old 30 Oct 2016, 18:43 (Ref:3684075)   #17
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Hyundai, Honda (Acura), Peugeot, BMW and Subaru are the names we've heard about wanting to do lmp1. Any one of these guys joins for a 3 year program it's going to be a huge deal. I think the ACO has assurance that someone is coming in.
I think you're overly optimistic there. Where has the ACO said that they expect a new LMP1 manufacturer to join? Neveu hinted at new manufacturers but that could have very well been about GTE, as we know there's more people joining there and they`re desperate for good news now, so I wouldn't be surprised for him to be slightly misleading there.

Even under less complex LMP1 rules, putting together such a programme takes years of preparation so for manufacturers to go from no to yes (like BMW and Peugeot) to even put a car on track will take a long time, and we`re not even there yet where anybody has made the decision.

I think even under the most optimistic scenario, if someone would agree to join now, they won't be on the grid before sometime in 2018 the earliest, 2019 more likely.

So even if things go really well and there are new manufacturers coming (which I don't see right now, to be honest..) Toyota and Porsche will have to take us through two more seasons at least. If not longer.