Thread: How to fix F1?
View Single Post
Old 9 Oct 2018, 17:14 (Ref:3855719)   #227
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Maybe nothing happens for stretches of time - as is the case in 99 races out of a 100, but it was still hugely entertaining.
Historic racing is fantastic, full stop. It just pains me when they break (as Peter will testify!) or get bent, as happened with a Cortina at Goodwood this year.

Taking your opener to that sentence though - that's the way pretty much all racing has always been, NASCAR and short oval stuff excepted. Right now in F1 there may be a dearth of overtaking and it may be that the tech rules have made it that way, but F1 has hardly been a festival of lead changes throughout its entire history. There's a reason we can all remember fantastic passes round 130R, up Raidillion, round Copse and so on - because they're not really very common, and never have been.

The current, dare I say, 'obsession' with overtaking is definitely one from the rose-tinted-spectacles bowl in my view. Sure, it'd be good if the cars could run closer together but with the current crop of machinery being run right on the edge of every tolerance they've got, it just isn't going to happen.