Thread: How to fix F1?
View Single Post
Old 10 Oct 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3855952)   #235
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
As to purposefully slower cars that are difficult to drive, etc. I think it is technically doable. But as I frequently say... I have no interest in professional vintage racing being the top open wheel series. And even if we did, I expect it would be difficult to create a set of rules in which engineers can't find ways to work around that goal. The intent might be "make them difficult to drive", but the designers and race engineers jobs (of which they are quite good) will be to tame the beasts and they will. Just like they have in F1 today.

We keep taking away "drivers aids" (traction control, real active aero, active suspension, launch control, etc.) and yet they seem to get easier and easier to drive.

Richard
a tangent based on that...

would it be possible to take a set of regulations from a prior season (year doesnt really matter for this question but for sure some years had 'better' regs/racing than others but for arguments sake lets just say 1989) and told the teams that these will again be the regs for 2019...would that work, how would that work, would it actually create something more sound then we have today?

no doubt the 2019 versions of the 1989 regs would benefit from better material knowledge, better building techniques, modern technology etc.

also, as you say, teams cant unlearn what they know and over time (within the course of a season at least) they will discover new areas to exploit and new loopholes.

these would be issues for sure, but that aside, would be possible to have a modern day version/builds of historics racing?

following along the line of not being to unlearn the past, it strikes me there may also be an opportunity here.

rather if they were to revert to a 'year zero' of sorts and start the evolution process all over again, shouldn't it be possible to avoid the pitfalls of the past which F1 currently find itself trapped by (too much aero for example)?