View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3898906)   #3
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter, I switched over from Nikon (full-frame) to mirrorless - Fuji (crop sensor) about 3-years ago and more recently have added mirrorless 'medium' format, again with Fuji.

As Grant says Nikon and Canon have belatedly joined the party after some early false starts (Sony have been the mirrorless leaders in full frame and have developed some very high quality kit over the last few years - really good stuff but maybe doesn't feel as rugged and to me the user interface is not so good. But output quality for Sony is exceptional).

There's very little to choose between them all in terms of quality as you can imagine. One thing to bear in mind with the Canon mirrorless offerings is that they don't currently offer in body image stabilisation whereas the others mainly do. For some that's a negative, for others not so. Similarly single card slots which again for some is a negative

Canon do offer (and maybe bundle) an adapter between the new Canon - the EOS R and cheaper RP - and their old lenses. And they have launched some very high quality RF series lenses if you want to buy new but they're quite expensive and large.

Canon have also been criticised for hobbling their mirrorless 4K video with a crop factor. Big issue for some people and really daft of Canon in my opinion (I'm not alone in that view).

But at the end of the day if you want to stay in the Canon world with the new kit you won't be disappointed.

As to focus speed / tracking - mirrorless cameras have come a long way and they're up there with the best - many sports professionals now use them but maybe some high end DSLRs have the slight edge (in the opinion of some but certainly not all). The official photographic agency for WEC, ELMS and Le Mans uses Fuji for example.

Positive aspects of mirrorless - what you see is what you get - looking through the viewfinder as you change settings you see the effects of exposure changes as they're electronic viewfinders, not optical as with DSLRs. For me that's a big plus - similarly you can review your images looking through the viewfinder so no squinting at the rear LCD screen in bright sunshine (although you can still do that as well).

The bodies can be smaller / lighter (that's not why I got into them) but that advantage has gradually been eroded as they've become bigger again in some cases - and the lenses tend to be not much smaller, if any, than DSLRs. You can get some smaller / lightish mirrorless combinations e.g. for travel. That's how I started as I got an early, cheap Fuji and realised that I'd virtually stopped using my Nikon stuff - hence the gradual change over to Fuji (with a bit of dabbling with Sony for a while but that's now been sold).

The range of mirrorless lenses from Nikon / Canon is limited as they're new into the market but, as said, adapters let you use your old lenses. Sony, Fuji, Panasonic etc have big mirrorless lenses as they're more established in the market - but not all of them are full-frame.

I could go on! Big convert to mirrorless, never looked back but nothing wrong with DSLRs if that's what people prefer (certainly not knocking them).