View Single Post
Old 15 Mar 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3808185)   #54
daWOOKIE
Rookie

daWOOKIE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Max Pucher seems pretty switched on so his involvement/investment in the GRC makes me think there is a bigger picture I'm not seeing. As things stand now though, I am struggling to see how the GRC is going to draw drivers in this year.
It will depend on if the GRC will actually be able to keep their TV deal with NBC or not (or if they get bumped to NBC Sports exclusively)

If they can (and I think RedBull has that locked in so I am not meaning to imply there is much doubt) then you might still see teams like Brian Herta, Colin Dyne, Steve Arpin and such staying and other drivers bring backing.

VW Andretti and Subaru were never going to stay with a one make series unless they were the one make so their departure with Honda (I think the Honda contract ran through last season anyway) isn't shocking.

The real question is what marketing/TV package will IMG put together for Americas Rally Cross and will that sustain any independent teams or attract any other manufacturers.

Subaru is a small enough manufacturer that the fan engagement and activation programs around their rally cross and stage rally programs in the US can easily justify their expense even if the audience is as small as it is.

I suspect that VW Andretti is making the switch as there is a contract in place forcing Andretti to keep running the Beetles forcing them to leave the GRC and do ARX regardless of the media package.

So that's 4 cars for ARX, unless Honda goes over, Hoonigan goes back to ARX, and Arpin goes to ARX (which unless there is a good media package isn't going to happen) that will be 4 cars for which will make for a very poor showing.

There wasn't enough manufacturer teams/entries in the GRC last year to guarantee a good field for ARX once GRC went to the one make model without some private super car teams and atleast Dyne's car is up for sale already...