View Single Post
Old 27 Apr 2021, 20:19 (Ref:4048162)   #5479
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I didn't want to labour the point but indeed, the legendary A.J. Foyt. Though he did form a longtime partnership with businessman Jim Gilmore, racing under the name Gilmore Racing from 1973-1984.
Yup. Also not meaning to be "too picky", The partnership was still Foyt's team. It was out of Foyt's shop (along with other endeavours like sprint cars, NASCAR and, at least one 962....or was that out of Henn's?)
There was a trivia book a friend had about 30 years ago that asked "What was AJ Foyt's 1977 500 winning car?"
It's answer was "The Sheraton-Thompson Special."
He wouldn't believe what I was telling him....."It's right there in black and white."
I had to zip home to grab one of my racing books to prove to him that the car was, in reality, a Coyote, not a "Sheraton-Thompson Special" He finally was convinced that that was just part of the sponsorship deal.
Finish Start Driver....Car # .... Sponsor/Name Chassis Engine Laps Status Points
1 .........4....A. J. Foyt 14 Sheraton-Thompson Coyote Ford 200 3:18:24.22 151.207 1,000

jimclark