View Single Post
Old 20 Jun 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2715294)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Dancer View Post
A multi-chassis/engine formula is fine, providing those two items have realistic price caps on spare parts & rebuilds as well as initial purchase, to stop the manufacturers profiteering like road car makers.
That's what I'm proposing. The chassis costs and full engine supply service contracts, including spares, would be price capped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I have no idea what this this thread's all about. At the moment you have:
GP2; Formula Renault 3.5, Formula 2, GP3, Formula 3
so there's actually way too much.
I agree. There's also too many at the bottom as well. Ideally, once I take a chainsaw to world motorsport (), F3 would have far more of a role. It would do what it says on the tin - be the third highest level in world single seater racing. The one above that would be called, er, Formula Two. But not the current F2. I would consider it a good idea to have world champions in both categories in some form. In F2 it would be easy to have a raceoff between the top finishes of a European series and an Asian series (with expansion room). In F3 they could have that, by making Macau the de jure F3 World Championship. Slight change in weekend format being the top twenty or so selected from the national series getting a bye through to the big show, to be joined by a number of wildcards from the qualifying race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
It's my belief that that come 2012 there will be a big shake-up and the driving force will be the FIA. GP2 is not an FIA formula. Formula 2 has been checked out and found wanting. GP3 is full of subsidised drives at the moment, so that's not the future.
GP3's probably going to fall over one of these days. The 30 car grid is only reflective of the lack of talent and subsidisation going on (you probably follow it close than me, mind). FIA F2 is equally mickey mouse, it was only set up for political reasons and the grids are going down. GP2 is a wasted opportunity, but that started going wrong when F3000 was made spec. You didn't mention Superleague Formula, I wonder how deep Endemol's involvement in that one is ...

May I ask what you foresee happening in 2012? The FIA taking more control? That could be a good thing.

Quote:
The only formula that actually delivers what it should is Formula 3, but it's too expensive. Think 1.6 turbo engines and around 300bhp and you might be on the right lines. The same basic engine could be used in other formulae as well and suddenly it all starts to make sense.
Have to agree. More power is needed in F3 cars, or a downforce cut, or both. Possibly even a chassis and spares price cap, like I have suggested for the second tier.