View Single Post
Old 20 Jun 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2715306)   #9
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
there could be a franchise system for chassis and engine suppliers, retricting the number to three or four, some form of balancing system like GT3.
I'm not sure, I understand the point of having a 'free' formula and the introducing equalisation measures. Ultimately, if manufacturers were to develop their car, its pace would be pegged back to that of its rivals. In effect, there would be no difference from a one make formula where all the cars are of the same theoretical performance. I appreciate that this approach has been taken in sportscar racing, however, there is no one make option and there is a need to keep amateur drivers competitive in order to provide decent grids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
It's my belief that that come 2012 there will be a big shake-up and the driving force will be the FIA. GP2 is not an FIA formula. Formula 2 has been checked out and found wanting. GP3 is full of subsidised drives at the moment, so that's not the future.

The only formula that actually delivers what it should is Formula 3, but it's too expensive.
I agree with your comments regarding F3 and in terms of F2 one has to question whether funding for it will continue in the long term (I like it as a race series, but is not in a position to provide a number of F1 recruits at the moment). As such it is likely that the tier below F1 could end up being GP2/Renault World Series. Below that, GP3 is perhaps not needed and one does wonder what will happen once all the subsidised drives dry up, furthermore, I don't really see where Formula Master fits in the overall scheme. As such, I think an evolution of the existing framework is pehaps a better option than completely reinventing it.