View Single Post
Old 12 Feb 2019, 12:41 (Ref:3883506)   #673
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The broad sunlit uplands of next March. Yeah, really. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I received a pm from a member who voted remain and went to great pains to tell me that the Irish government was not at fault but that the UK as a whole is wrong to permit this to happen.

I respect the peron's position and indeed even understand it to an extent but, and this is a big but. The GF agreement is quite clear that there should be no hard border between North and South, so I do find it very odd that the Irish Government is pushing so hard to create one.

As to a soft Brexit? Life will be worse than being in.

Not sure where you are getting your information Peter but the Irish Govt are absolutely not pushing for a hard border. As someone who lived through the bloody war (and that is what it was, not the soft ‘troubles’ word bandied around, it was a war with horrific consequences on both sides) believe me, no-one wants that horror back again and a border will create it. The UK chose to leave, nothing to do with us. The Irish govt have, must and are elected to protect the interests of the republic. And as a nation, the most recent poll shows 92% here want to stay in the EU, a number which has risen steadily in the last 10 yrs. We are not anti uk we are just trying to fight like hell to protect ourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk