View Single Post
Old 27 Aug 2016, 18:58 (Ref:3667894)   #22
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
To spice up the off-track discussion a bit, I think that it is ridiculous that Hamilton has been given a 30 place grid penalty for this race, yet will only get a maximum of 21 places. And that is if he even attempts to go for pole, which I think is highly unlikely.

He will probably do the minimum number of qualifying laps to set a reasonable time in Q1, and then be able to save his tyres for the race. It makes a mockery of the rules system, where a team/driver can in some way benefit from an infringement.

The FIA, if they intend to retain the current system of grid penalties, should amend the rules so that any unused lost grid places are rolled over to the next race. Otherwise, more teams will be "bending" the sanctions in a similar way to Mercedes, artificially using more PU components than they actually need for that particular meeting.

That is how it worked before but I agree with Martin Brundle, it is not really the drivers fault that the team has mechanical problems. His suggestion is to take points from the team in the teams championship. No real reason to penalise a driver, 55 places now, for mechanical failure. Penalise the driver for driving errors, the team for car faults.