View Single Post
Old 11 Mar 2011, 04:19 (Ref:2843739)   #67
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Simon, what (I'm poorly!) trying to say is why pre66? The race is entitled 'Big Engined Touring Cars', not 'Big engined Touring Cars made in 1965'. So why not open it up to some different cars that would make it so much more interesting to spectators. Other races cater for a mix of years so why not this one? Yes I know its pre66 so can include other years but its just so predictable. There could be a lot more variety on the grid if it was opened up to say the end of the '60's or even into the mid '70's if were just talking Yank cars.........hell, even Al could enter then

Ben, you're quite correct regarding sticking to a set period/ set of regs when the race is part of a series or championship but for a one off race surely it would be more fun to see or race against different cars? Regarding a policeable set of regs the CSCC's Swinging Sixties is very open (and even if some don't like the idea) it has proved so popular that for this year they have had to split the series in to two races as last year virtually every race was oversubscribed. I'm sure most of the entrants in each race were not expecting to win..................oh, hang on, maybe they were all just racing for fun.....perish the thought

The entrants in the other races that are multi year / era seem to have no problem with the concept that they cannot compete on even terms with the front running cars (I'm talking single seaters generally) so what is it with the Touring Car drivers. Perhaps the single seaters guys actually have an interest in their cars whereas the saloon guys don't and so just go out and buy the car thats at the pointy end of the grid to make them look good.

oops, sorry, must have jumped on the soapbox from elsewhere
If the grids are full with the App K cars then there seems little need to open it up to a wider specification. And it seems to be one of the races that is always very popular and the grid fills up quickly.

If it works, don't fix it.

Better to have a level playing field in terms of regs than a bunch of bizzas out there in my view. That is what App K does.