View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2018, 05:36 (Ref:3826339)   #48
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
There's a subtle difference I think.

BoP, you essentially have no rules. You have performance windows and each car is adjusted individually to fit these windows.

What RWill is talking about is essentially the same as the WEC Equivalence of Technology (EoT) system where you have several rule sets, and in theory, any one of these rule sets is as fast as the other. So if McLaren used rule set A, Williams used rule set B and Ferrari used rule set C, if they all built good cars, they'd be as good as each other. But if Williams built a bad car, then it wouldn't be equalised and it'd still be slow.

BoP equalises cars and has no real technical regulations. EoT provides multiple rule sets that are as good as each other but doesn't equalise cars.

Now quite how this would work in F1 I don't know. In WEC it was introduced to allow different hybrid and fuel types to compete against each other. It kinda is class racing, but it isn't really (EoT is LMP1 only for example).
Thank you. This helped. But one more thing to add, in wec, the factories basically had free reign to develop aero as well as engine, correct? Or the same parameters as the privateers? My thought is that limiting their aero development further than privateers, and even having different starting points, would help to make sure the factories don't just run away with things.

As far as it becoming "class racing", I see no difference between that ajd the current state. McLaren and Renault know they're not competing for championships or wins, but for best of the rest. That is a "class" in a way. There are 6 cars in the top class, maybe 10 innthe next class, and 4 bringing up the rear. It's hugely celebrated for sauber to reach the points, which is very much second/third class citizen type stuff.