View Single Post
Old 23 Apr 2019, 10:32 (Ref:3899142)   #79
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Cracking day of racing at Lydden yesterday (and lovely weather which makes a nice change!). Lively supercar final was won by Derek Tohill in most of a Fiesta - I was suprised he made it to the flag, I thought the amount of smoke coming off the tyres would surely end up in a puncture. Tohill, O'Donovan and Godfrey looked to be a mile ahead of the others all day in terms of pace (although as ever Hill looked quick whilst the Evo lasted - and as ever it let him down). Mike Manning's Fiesta never really looked (or sounded) to be running at 100% which was a shame but it's good to see him back again.

Supernational was a bit of a one horse race all day - nobody was getting near Ovenden and the field was thinning out by the end of the day, that's a class that needs a bit of a lift. There used to be such a wide variety of cars in that class - some of them have shifted into the Retro classes now so that dilutes it a bit but there were quite a few regulars missing too.

Speaking of the Retros - Liam was absolutely flying in the RS200, fastest time of the day across all classes is no mean feat. Have to say the sight of 2 RS200's, 2 6R4's and the Quattro sitting on the grid was a bit special - it's not something I saw in period so it's a real privilege to see it now.

The Swifts, Juniors, MINIs and RX150s all gave some good close racing too (which was a real surprise for the RX150s). Monster accident in the Swifts too - glad to see the driver get out of what was left of the car.

As for Lydden itself - traffic getting out was better than normal as they actually had people managing it (and the way the finals were ordered meant that people left more gradually rather than a charge to get out right at the end). Toilets were the usual state - but did at least start the day clean (although no paper towels all day).