View Single Post
Old 23 Apr 2019, 15:43 (Ref:3899207)   #85
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
there is an interesting element to this though.

That car is probably a second a lap quicker than the final versions of the Group B RS200's running in 92, the last year of the rules. Pat ran one for years after that, very powerful, very trick. But I would suggest Liam is no match for Martin on his day. That track record stood for years from 1988 and 1990.

But Liam is a current level driver, in WRX probably a top 6 driver in terms of speed, and he was quicker than the current spec of rallycross cars.

Yes the 200 is probably lighter and more powerful, but nowhere near as much torque, I doubt as clever in terms of diffs and gearboxes. and obviously mid engined.

Lydden was ALWAYS the best track for the RS200, was quicker than the 205 usually there too.

So a modern car is slower? Tohill is a decent peddler, not on Dorans level but not bad. The rest are quick clubmen.

I find it interesting that an old car, albeit with new tech on it is quicker. Was he running slicks or cut slicks? Probably. they would work better than the crap tyres modern cars have to run.

Imagine going to say Cloaenog with a 205 and say Elfyn Evans, can you imagine if he was quicker through the stage than Ogier, Tanak, Neuville in the modern WRC cars?