View Single Post
Old 23 Apr 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3899232)   #87
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Ha, I was waiting for the old versus new debate to start!

I think he was running slicks, sure I got a picture of the car in the paddock so I can check that later.
It was on slicks - just checked one of my photos in the paddock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I think it's a tough one to call. Yeah, an restricted Group B car stuffed with modern tech is likely quicker than a current car, but when it drastically deviates from it's original specification can you really consider it an "old" Group B car? And if you remove the restriction from the new car that will surely be faster again. A direct comparison of period cars would be interesting, though I wonder how many (if any) of those there are in use.
This is the thing - how much of that RS200 is 'period'? Not much I'd have said - suspension, brakes, engine, turbo, gearbox, diffs - all that will be better than period. Add to that the advantage of the mid engine layout and you're well on your way. Remove the engineering restrictions from the modern cars and you'd see an improvement in performance for sure.