View Single Post
Old 13 Oct 2012, 13:20 (Ref:3150900)   #10
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting news.

Here's hoping there's some form of technical specification/governance in the final product's regulations. Enacting a global monopoly with a purely BoP-based formula's bound to create a world of pain.

As far as cost-capping is concerned, there's an element of uncertainty. There's certainly decent opportunity as far as sales (and, support concerning which) are concerned.
It'll be interesting to see whether the concept works (i.e. allows for sufficient revenue) on a larger scale, particularly with such a large volume of providers.

It's interesting cost-capping's been mentioned at all, with GTE having been predominantly manufacturer-oriented; the current scenario doesn't appear to have placed too significant a barrier upon entry for interested marques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It does make you wonder whether there really were going to be GTE versions of the likes of the Z4, SLS etc. Maybe there still will be in the interim if they feel it makes sense.

With the whole thing opened up you'd have to have some kind of GT qualification for Le Mans if it proves to be half as popular as GT3.

I assume this also removes a potentially tough decision for the ALMS/Grand-Am folks with a transition year in '14 followed by a new GT class in '15.
Agreed. This seems to play right into GA's hands.

There's no longer a need for the unified series to accommodate both GTE and (GA's specific flavour of) GT3 beyond 2015.
They have a decent amount of time to decommission their adaptation of GT3, and provide for solely two GT classes (i.e. unified GTE/3, GTX) within the overall structure.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 13 Oct 2012 at 13:28.