View Single Post
Old 9 Feb 2018, 22:40 (Ref:3800110)   #1220
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Aeroscreen
It's not called an 'Aeroscreen'. IndyCar used a much more fancier name for it. They called it a 'Windscreen'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
This is because they gave it a proper test, rather than ‘3 laps around Silverstone’
Vettel only did the one lap with the 'Shield' during FP1 at Silverstone 2017. Not three laps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Same as Sports and GTs; pit crew remove during pit stops. Don't forget that the cars often do pit-stops far more often than an Endurance racer, so more opportunities to remove the tear-offs.
Cannot see tear-offs being an option for F1. With sub 2 second pit stops now common in F1, there would not be enough time for a crew member to reach right into the cockpit area, rip a tear-off and move away from the path of the rear wheels in under 2 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
So the few seconds it takes to grab the tab on a tear off and pull it off should not impact IndyCar pitstop time. For F1, I expect it would impact it a bit more, but everyone will be in the same boat.

Richard
In the ultra competitive world of F1, where 0.1 of a second makes a huge difference, everyone will not be 'in the same boat'. You will find drivers (or teams) choosing not the remove a tear-off if it will save them a millisecond. Even if the screen is fairly dirty. This is the likely scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
BTW I’m not anti- just thinking practically...... I hate the halo!
Well I am anti screen. I hate the shield. Hate the Aeroscreen too. But like you, I absolutely hate the Halo the most. They all do not belong in F1. It is a stupid idea, and just a knee jerk reaction by the FiA.