View Single Post
Old 16 Sep 2002, 18:14 (Ref:381750)   #5
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Formula Grand Prix or Formula GP for short. My reasoning is based on assumptions that I can't back up with any data, just gut feel:

1. I don't think anyone owns the rights to "Grand Prix".

2. Most people relate the term to top end motor racing so it has marketing sizzle for the general public.

3. It's not region specific but rather a global term so it doesn't make any difference where you hold your races. I beleive terms like North America, Can-Am and the like may put off non-North Americans. CART is truly a global sport.

4. It is not formula specific so you can change the specs with relatively little impact to the average viewer. Where if you say things like Formula Turbo you're stuck.

5. Most of the current CART races are already labled GP so you don't have race name changes that the average person won't understand.

Remember we here are motorheads. Most people buying seats just want to take their kid to a special event. I don't even think that most sponsor's marketing people even know what their getting into. The IRL proves that to me. They hear Indy and buy in. They here CART and think their sponsoring the go-kart they had as a kid. The actual numbers seem to be meaningless.

Last edited by Flatspot; 16 Sep 2002 at 18:16.