View Single Post
Old 21 May 2019, 07:58 (Ref:3905025)   #1038
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
Thinking about avoiding Paris on my way to LM comming from the Netherlands. Is driving via Rouen doable. I mean traffic wise.
In my many years of travelling between the Channel ports and Le Mans, I've tried all three of the routes mentioned already.

Travelling via Paris is quite enjoyable. There is some sort of phobia - certainly amongst Brits - about the Peripherique which I don't share. It's not a problem; generally speaking it flows (unlike, say, the N. Circular Road in London) and I've never had any difficulties with it. However, if you think you're going to see the sights of Paris, you won't. Those travelling from, say, Calais will find it longer and more expensive in motorway toll costs.

If you're uneasy about driving in heavy traffic, by-passing Rouen to the west has its advantages, not least the Pont de Brotonne already mentioned.

The route which I favour and which I always come back to, is that which takes you down the hill from Isaneauville, through the Darnetal Tunnel, over the River Seine and then out of Rouen on the N338 through Petite and Grand Quevilly. The alternative route once over the river, alongside the marshalling yards and the "Cow" roundabout has too many sets of traffic lights and is a nightmare on the return journey after the race.

No one route is ideal and much will depend on how confident you are in heavy traffic. All have something to recommend.

As for Les Essarts: one day......