Old 11 Sep 2009, 10:29 (Ref:2538362)   #5
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
To stop people cutting the apex?

I can see a few flying cars... wonder how far a 650kg car will fly after hitting a 80mm high curved kerb at 50mph...
That's what I mean. In practice 1, Trulli spun and hit the kerb at low speed but the car was bounced violently enough for a few pieces of carbon fibre to fall off.

As I see it, the kerbs will stop deliberate corner apex cutting but punish small mistakes unfairly (not to mention breaking up the rythm of the circuit)

The race starts are traditionally where most of the corner cutting occurs but as I said in my original post the T1 kerbs look like they wil funnel the cars together creating more chance of a crash.

In my opinion, I dont think it's necessary to have that amount of tarmac run off at that corner and the fact that it is there encourages the corner cutting. If you had the old style kerbs and grass/gravel on the inside, you would discourage deliberate corner cutting without resorting to damaging cars which do, and at the same time cars can tiptoe through the gravel if they do overcook it