View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2018, 06:54 (Ref:3808283)   #40
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
If someone builds a DPi that's incapable of being BoP'd down to LMP2 performance, they never should have had the car approved for homologation in the first place. It's almost laughable to think a DPi with a parts bin engine would be stiffer or better optimized than an LMP2 with a purpose built Gibson either (rather we know they're mostly horrendously overweight and by extension off balance, and would presumably require either higher ride heights or stiffer springs), you know they have to actually run those cars against three other chassis without any BoP, right?

Why would Penske have better data when their car configuration is brand new and they haven't raced Sebring in a decade while CORE is using one that's run this race before with multiple chassis and has been pounding around with three cars year after year? Nevermind their lead driver was driving for Penske last time they were there. For that matter if experience is so important what would make Castroneves better than Romain Dumas and Colin Braun when Helio has barely any mileage on half the track while they have thousands of laps?

I really don't know why you're telling me how inaccurate computer models are when my point was about computer models not being accurate enough to ignore real data, which in this case is whatever lap times they actually turn during timed sessions. If an LMP2 team comes along that's 1s faster than every single team that's raced in IMSA this year, then you can change the BoP but for now this is reality.