View Single Post
Old 6 Feb 2019, 00:43 (Ref:3882166)   #452
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Open wheelers (and sports cars) were historically where the big names raced until the late 60's.
Touring cars were something that the big names (Like Goss Davidson Harvey Jones etc) raced as part of thier sponsorship or motor trade connection. It wasn't until the Armstrong 500 that the production based touring car racing started to become a dominant factor in media coverage.
Even then the Tasman series and F5000 dominated the summer seasons with touring cars looked upon as support racing.
Ancient history perhaps but don't twist history please.
I can't go back beyond the 1960's but take your point that things changed when production racing started. I guess until then most open wheelers in this country were home built but production racing meant that a car could be bought and raced without the hassle. Let me clear up my statement....historically since production car racing was introduced open wheelers have never been a crowd favorite apart from a few short years and I think that occurred because the better known names took part.

To help with the pending series introduction they should round up a few better known drivers from supercars to bolster the interest. I am obviously talking of a purely domestic series, the Tasman series was another thing altogether, cars were imported and in a lot of cases sold and left here for which domestic motorsport benefited. Formula Holden, F3 etc did not blossom to the extent they should have and the club series of FV & FF were at best good program fillers for those who were REALLY into racing and appreciated the nuances of it.