View Single Post
Old 26 Jun 2018, 09:59 (Ref:3833165)   #88
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
How far alongside you does a car need to be before you have to leave a car's width and not follow the racing line through a corner?

The "instructions" that you quote from F1 Metrics have a great similarity to instructions that used to be given at drivers' briefings back in the 1960s.

However, given today's equipment and technology in the cars, I don't know how relevant that instruction is. Cars back then didn't stop like they do now, nor did they handle any where near as well as current cars do.

We couldn't do the things that are regularly done nowadays. It was brought home to me a few weeks ago when I was given the opportunity to test a few cars at a horrendously sodden Croft. Even on road equivalent tyres, what you could achieve, in terms of both braking and moving under turn in, would have been impossible back then in the dry using proper racing tyres. Let alone the stopping power.