View Single Post
Old 10 Sep 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3927105)   #13
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Will drivers see the black & white flag as a "free ticket" to allow them to move under braking or crowd another car off track?
This, to me, highlights why it is also not the equivalent of a 'yellow card'.

When a footballer receives a yellow card, this 'reprimand' remains both for the rest of the game and beyond into following fixtures. Most people know that a player is removed from the pitch if they pick up a second yellow (which may align with a second case of unsporting behaviour in F1). But they also are subject to a one match ban after 5 yellow cards (2 after 10 etc).

If the Premier League season is 38 games, then a player will be suspended if he is yellow carded 13% of the time. For the same to apply to F1, then a driver should be suspended after his third Black/White flag.

Thinking about it, this might be the best way to implement the flag - 3 strikes and you're out!
This would allow for the occasional indiscretion, as we saw with LeClerc recently, and still allow the drivers to race. But if LeClerc was to be flagged again in a future race, he would have to be very careful in later races.