View Single Post
Old 27 Feb 2003, 22:07 (Ref:519742)   #41
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an experienced marshal surfing the forum, to say that I am stunned by just how much you guys have to pay is an understatement!! Having just undertaken to start a new marshalling club, funded by donations from drivers in our chosen discipline, I'm beginning to wonder if I've gone the right way. (I was hoping for £10 per year to clothe marshals in overalls etc).

While I was trying to justify my asking competitors for more money I stumbled over a true description of an Event. The idea came from my fire-training.

Imagine an "Event" as a Three-Legged Stool,
If any of the legs are missing........the stool falls over and fails!
So what are the legs?
Venue,
Competitors,
Marshals.

Loose any of the 3 and the "Stool" falls over.

In my humble opinion, that makes everyone equal. If any of the three leave, the other two have nothing to do!

So why does it always semm to me, that the only leg looking to screw the others, is the one that has the most to lose?
The Venues aka Organising Clubs.

Drivers can find another championship
Us Marshals are always in demand...but.....

if noone wants to compete in any certain championship, then they don't have to! What happens to that championship??

Like I said, I am (not going to say just!!!) a Motorsport Marshal and a fan of racing but I am going to repeat a line that I've used many times "on-the-hills".

Question: "We could'nt race without marshals"...

Answer : "We'd look pretty stupid, standing here in orange, if you guys did not spend your money and turn up!!"

I don't have answers for you guys and apologise for jumping into your thread but, I never realised just how much you people have to spend just to entertain us !!!!!

Thank-you very much and just let the Marshal's Forum know where you might be if you choose to switch championships.