View Single Post
Old 18 Sep 2017, 20:57 (Ref:3768410)   #116
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
We have the opposite problem up here - asphalt tracks are struggling.

Ultimately I think the country got oversaturated with short tracks so of course a lot will be closing now that weekend short tracking isn't as big a deal as it once was.

But that's actually one of the reasons those modifieds are growing so much in areas where tracks aren't closing. A track that can't afford to run with the payouts for high-dollar machines needs something that's fun for drivers(drivers LOVE those modifieds), cheap to operate, and still puts on a heck of a show for the fans.

At the near half-mile track I raced on, our top modifieds were only half a second slower than the crate late models, and they're half the cost to run. (too bad I did not have the talent to be competitive in those things despite having a track championship in the limiteds)

In this day and age the high-dollar equipment needs to be limited to the touring championships. The weekly stuff needs to be cost-effective.
The two asphalt tracks near me still exist but no longer hold races. Ones towards South and Middle GA struggling as well, if not closed (one appeared in the Cars 3 / Dodge Commercials here recently).

Definitely an over-saturation from the 70s on, but there's at least 3 dirt tracks in NE GA still going decent and a boxing ring that also holds Saturday night dirt races to my west.