View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2005, 23:44 (Ref:1280761)   #24
Chris_SLH
Rookie

Chris_SLH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi some good points above and thought i would add some thoughts. I believe that F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport and shouldn't be turned into a spec formula.

1)Tyres. Although it is looking likely that a control tyre won't be the case in the near future the idea does have so many merits. Removing the 'tyre wars' would reduce testing amounts and control year on year increases in car speeds. From the point of view of the spectator, they are oblivious as to whether the driver has spec A or spec B tyres etc.
2)Distribution of funds. In my opinion these rules were drafted in a backlash against the recent ferrari domination. However with Ferrari receiving a greater proportion of funds from the FIA, then this is a perpetuating situation that might only get worse. By sharing the wealth more equally would enable the teams to perform better against Ferrari.
3)Stability. When the rules are changed it is generally those that have the greatest resources to meet the challenges that profit. The situation is made worse when the rule changes are made late and leave insufficent time to design new cars. Introduce a 12 month freeze on rule changes before an given season.
4)Aerodynamics. Not sure that the progressive removal of aerodynamic design freedom is good because it just encourages the teams to go away and claw back the downforce loses. As a flipside as the downforce decreases the drag usually does likewise and straightline speeds may increase. A large percentage of the teams budgets must go on running the wind tunnels. All those at the top and middle of the grid run their tunnels 24 hours a day with 3 shifts of engineers/technicians. These costs on top of the enourmous costs of running the tunnels (think moving tonnes of air at 70mph+) must be crippling...and i read somewhere that Williams now have 2 top line tunnel??? Only suggestion would be to limit teams to a certain number of bodywork packages throughout the year perhaps but this is going against the principle of total freedom?

Any ideas?