View Single Post
Old 19 Nov 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3864244)   #2433
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Glad I haven’t got shares in ‘The Alliance’......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46259420
Well, subject to how this pans out, one has to observe that if one might somehow be manipulating things in one's favour in somewhat dodgy ways from a senior position of control it is never a good idea give up that control.

I recall a former boss of mine, a long time trusted manager of a particularly profitable operation within a family business (not his family), who said something that seemed rather strange at a small leaving gathering when he and his wife decided to take on a pub instead.

It went something like "One day you will be sorry to have known me". Or something like that.

One particular part of the business happened to involve cash collected weekly from public use coin in the slot office machines.

It was noted that after he left the cash take went up quite significantly.

Within a year he was in court and then in jail.

He was a nice bloke and generous towards staff with what people assumed was his own money but was probably raked off from the cash flow.

I think he would have been able to ease out of the situation possibly unnoticed had he had time but the pub option, on which his wife was rather keen, came up very suddenly and gave him no time to cover his tracks. I don't think anyone else knew what he was doing at the time.