View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2018, 10:14 (Ref:3791156)   #105
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Talking of Denmark did I tell about our VIP dinner we had when out at Copenhagen Historic G P.The dinner was in a lift and all the food was supplied from the garden that was on top of the building . There were about seven courses of all this green stuff and the waiter explained to us about what the food was and how it was cooked . It was a brilliant evening one that I shall never forget . When we had finished some four hours plus later our host shut the doors on the lift and we all went down . There was 20 of us . Happy days . 😀
Industrial lift at a factory?

Would have been a bit cosy in a normal people lift.

Talking of lifts, I was dragged into Nottingham a couple of times before Christmas. The the John Lewis store as management wanted to buy some new curtains, the Living Room having been redecorated.

So after all of the aggro of finding any material that was anything near what she was looking for (this happens every single time she does any interior decorating despite a lot of on-line research and sample gathering first - it was the same with paint colours and wallpaper) we went through the laborious process of actually ordering something on their computer system, which was not working very well on the day.

Not hearing anything after several weeks (on a 7 day confirmation process) she got a message out of the blue to say the curtains were not going to be made as the wholesaler had withdrawn the chosen material because it was crap. So I was dragged back a second time to go through it all again with the computer system not working once more, etc., etc.

The only suitable material was even more expensive but, given the service had failed to meet expectations and there was no way they would be delivered "in time for Christmas" they agreed to leave the price as was. Still incredibly expensive in my opinion but better than paying the extra.

So they arrived in 2 boxes, unannounced, a few days ago. And of course the first response on opening them was that she hates the material, the colour (its almost colourless material) and subsequently, having hung one pair, the way they hang. All of those responses being entirely normal and one of the reasons why I really hate redecorating anything.

Anyway, the point of the story is really about lifts.

John Lewis in Nottingham is in a large old shopping centre, in the centre of the City, which has an underground car park and JL's lifts go all the way down to the car park. Very convenient if you park in the right part of the labyrinth so long as you have enough nous left after shopping to find a way out.

On both trips, one during the week and the other on a Sunday, the lift seemed to take an age to get anywhere and when it appeared was rammed full of "pram" pushers who seemed to have no idea about how to manoeuvre a pram/pushchair to extricate it from the packed lift.

Absolutely no clue at all.

Arriving for the second visit, when a lift finally appeared having stopped at every floor on the way down for some minutes ( I have no idea where the other two lifts got to - they seemed not to be moving at all) no one got off in the car park. I suspect they had all shoved in somewhere above just because the doors opened and on the basis that at least they now had possession of space on a lift even if it was going in the wrong direction.

The shops were not at all busy on the days we were there so I assume the visitors, mostly, had no real purpose and were therefore not entirely focussed on what they were doing. "Sunday driver" syndrome.

Both visits were also memorable for a lack of staff cover in the department we visited and that was made worse by the awful and very slow (when it worked at all) computer ordering system.

All made worse still by having to drive into Nottingham which is one of the least car friendly cities in the UK.

The only plus point was that I didn't notice any errant disposable coffee cups being touted around. Plenty of drinks bottles but no coffee cups. Probably banned as too dangerous to go up and down in a pushchair filled lift.

All told a very unwelcome experience that I will be doing my best to avoid in the future.