View Single Post
Old 17 Dec 2020, 23:01 (Ref:4023519)   #108
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Am I the only one who, by about 2007 once the novelty wore off, thought the 2.4 V8s sounded quite meh? They're un-musical sounding on video and quite unpleasant/ear damaging in person. Efficient modern flat-plane V8 race engines tend to be the most bland and generic sounding of all possible configurations.

The V12 is almost inevitably a rich complex sound, or at least it sounds higher-revving than it really is, which makes it interesting and exciting.
The V10 (like the i5) always has a prominent major third interval going that humans naturally find pleasant for some reason.
6-pots tend to sound like half a V12, or a V12 at half the revs, which is pretty good too.

I'd only welcome V8s if they are introduced to diversify the field of V12s, V10s and V6. In fact, every manufacturer must be required by the rules to opt for a configuration of engine that isn't currently in use by any of the competitors!
In Spec, they sounded awful because on one end of the power train they had traction control wheezing and popping as it cut cylinders allowing driver to mash the throttle completely unskilled to put the power down.

Then at the other end they had a rev limiter that likewise caused an awful crackle at the top end of the power train for...I dunno, some reason or other.
Probably cost saving.

This, combined with the grooved tyres they didn't run it on, the ridiculous amount of aero appendages that covered every flat surface and made the cars impossible to follow each other and the refueling rules which blighted the era means we have a 3 page thread at current standing, based on nostalgia for an era that wasn't even that great in the first place.
The CHAMPIONSHIP battle might have been closer, but the race by race action was woefully poor.
Start, 2 pitstop of under/overcut and you're done, little in the way of on track passing at all

Luckily, those in power of the sport don't govern with the minds of fans reminiscant of an era when they first watched the sport and were watching uncritically.
Obviously, they go where the money is and suit their own selfish interests, but re-doing the past won't make them any richer, so we don't have to be worry about being blighted with the nadir of the mid 2000s spec ever again