View Single Post
Old 15 Dec 2003, 13:00 (Ref:812137)   #70
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Someone mentioned the 'inis' ie the raft of good Italians who were in F3/F3000 late 80's early 90's.

Montermini is a good one, Naspetti, Tamburini were all pretty well matched ability wise. Morbidelli progressed a bit further for a bit longer but didn't quite do it?

If i haven't mentioned him then Marco Apicella is SURELY the outstanding candidate, he was as good or better than anyone else in 3000 Italian or otherwise at any point. I really couldn't understand what went wrong?!

Barbazza maybe a similar case, but his breaks came a little too late and he often overdrove equipment. Still think his B'ham drive in 1990 was one of best i've seen.

But this was back in the days where there was lots of Marlboro money in Italy, courtesy perhaps, of Mr De Cesaris' old man who i believe was the importer?

Alfonso Garcia De Vinuesa was v fast until hurt himself and then lost his bottle i think?

Another perhaps the late Marco Campos, a Draco protege who was tragically killed at Magny Cours. He was probably on Alonso's level in terms of talent, before Alonso, if you know what i mean?

Any thoughts on these offerings guys?

Last edited by chunterer; 28 Oct 2007 at 12:07.