View Single Post
Old 15 Mar 2021, 09:14 (Ref:4040487)   #51
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
What on earth is Carlos Reutemann doing on the list? And our Nige was heroic on the day but come on , he was no Senna or Prost ,some days he wasn't even really a Mansell really... And heavens , juts how much of a besotted fan does one have to be to even consider Max Verstappen as a candidate. Isn't it a bit, y'know ... early to start thinking about accolades like that ?

As Grand Prix racing started in 1906 I will chuck Tazio Nuvolari's name into the ring . Along with that wonderful buccaneer , Clay Reggazoni , he looks just like an Italian racing driver should . And yes , Clay was technically Swiss , I know .
This is the post I was looking for.

I'd put it to you that everyone is judged on their best, therefore Mansell is absolutely equal to Senna and Prost.

Alright, he didn't win either 86/87 titles. But he won the most races by double the next best. That has to count for something when chronic unreliability was actually reliable in those days?

He's like the Dutch team of the 70s. Didn't win the World Cup, but were still the best team

For whatever weaknesses you see in Mansell, I'd put it to you that despite being statistically better since, his 1992 season is the biggest clobbering any champ has won his title in F1 history?

There isn't a driver in motorsport history that, accounting for relative strengths/weaknesses, could beat him in a FW14B/15C.

FW14b/15C is the zenith of F, and he's a contributor to it. Unlike Schumacher, Vettel and Hamilton, who've cashed in with relatively less impressive cars.

Best Pom on ovals. So good that if he was a yank, he'd be the best yank on ovals as well!