View Single Post
Old 1 Sep 2006, 07:37 (Ref:1699071)   #30
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think DTRC is really a race within a race and I doubt that this format will survive much longer as it will be forced to split. Basically more or less anything goes in Class A from Space framed HotRods to big engined Sports Cars and 4WD ex-WRC Rally cars. All the other classes are very similiar to Mod-Prods/Classic Thunder in fact I have seen guys interloping between the championships me included.

Now this is fine at the moment if you do not mind being lapped in a very short while by some of the monster machines in Class A (the novelty of that will wear thin, trust me) but I do believe that eventually the championship may become a victim of its own success (if not handled correctly) and grids will have to be split. Now when this happens I would say the logic split would be Class A runs in one race and all the others in the next. So what does this leave you with? Essentially two different championships which IMHO is exactly what it is. The Class A akin to Northern Saloons and the old Thunder Saloons and all the other classes with Mod-Prods and Classic Thunder.

Now something on trailering and a confession (I have told this before so bear with me). I totalled my Sunbeam Talbot Road Saloon at Oulton on the practice slowing down lap after being nerfed by an SDI (jealousy) after putting it on pole position. Anyhow watching the race and wondering how the hell I was gonna get the mangled wreck 250 miles down the M1 I got chatting to Brian Sheridan who's car had blown an engine and was in a similiar position. He asked me my thoughts on trailering and I said it sucks, he then suggested that if I could draw up a set of regs and offered some ideas (the now much copied multi-valves up a class was our innovation) he could get the sponsorship together and we could start a rival series. Which we did and it was very, very successful and that I have to confess was the first nail in the coffin of the drive to track Road and Super Road Saloons as many of their drivers came over to us especially as there was money to be earnt (good cash prize money and even a payment for finishing the first lap).

Also and please correct me on the details but I have strong recollections of a guy, a VW driver returning back from Brands after competing in a Road/Super Road Saloon race and no doubt with with shot tyres and brakes and having a nasty accident on the M25 (may even have been fatal). I am sorry and I know me and Tim who I have a lot of respect for, will never agree but IMO race cars must be trailered to and from the circuit and not to and encourage others to do the same is just downright irresponsible in this day and age of totally over subscribed roads.