Thread: IMSA: 2020
View Single Post
Old 12 Aug 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3922444)   #32
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Hope this does not materialize. Don't need an LMP2 field filler. Its a different story if they want to come in and run in GTD though. Should look at that route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
The recent Marshall Pruett/Stephen Kilby podcast was interesting. Thoughts on some topics brought up:

1. I can for sure see Pratt & Miller Corvette and R.L.L. BMW change some drivers. The #4 car especially. Mueller, Hand, and Priaux are all former BMW drivers. Could see Westbrook and Briscoe move to P&M. Oliver Gavin just does not have it anymore. Tommy Milner is too mistake prone.

2. An all GT race in Portland. Sign me up. Laguna Seca is great, but the crowds are not there and maybe it can host an all proto race there still. For Portland. A 4 hour race with GTLM, GTD, and bring in GS too, running with the last hour transitioning to night. Bring those crazy Portland Timber fans to an auto race.

3. Baltimore was a cool venue. Did not get the respect it deserved. The racing there was certainly unique. For ALMS the gaps between the classes was very close even with LMP1. Imagine if you had a race with GTLM vs DP/P2 there between 2014-2016. The GTLM's could have won overall there (in dry). But yeah in one year the winning Falken Porsche was 4th overall just a few seconds back of the winning prototype. Corvette led overall very late in the 2013 race.
The more I read about RWR the more suspicious I become that this will ever materialize. If dedicated sportscar teams have a hard time filling rent a ride seats how will this new team magically make it work?

1. It does seem like Corvette is due for a change but is that because they are extra loyal and thus makes it hard to release guys? But with the new car will they want some mid-engine guys in the fold to get the feedback on the tires and how they work best? There will be a few Ford guys left out in the cold and P&M has shown they want to win and win soon.

2. While a GT only, and extended GT only fest with GT4 in the field too, would be great I think it would be a hard sell unless is around Laguna to save on travel. But it would NEVER be an enduro length event, it would have to be a sprint to accommodate the budgets of GTD and would probably result in them being dropped somewhere else on the calendar.

3. Baltimore was fun but apparently cost the city a TON of money, and they have no money left right now. It was a great mix of how long the different classes could go on a stint and worked out with weird overlaps. But also the scene of an understandable but still vile screw job on Oryx Racing (I think that was the name) when Dyson wanted them to slow and let them by to sew up the season championships.