View Single Post
Old 30 Jun 2010, 13:08 (Ref:2720351)   #601
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
HI EVERYONE! I’m a newcomer here, but I read this forum for a long while. My english is very unperfect, sorry for that. I have some questions, I hope you can answer it, or you have an „close-to-true”minds. Thank you in anticipation for your every single answer!
Welcome.
Quote:
So the questions:

-What is the current (latest) situation about the coupe/open question? (air condition, aero, drag, speed, pit work, „in rain”, etc.) Hard question: what is the better way now: coupe or open?
Coupes will no longer get the bigger air restrictor to accomodate air conditioning. On the other hand, the cockpit temperature rules will be relaxed, such that air conditioning might not be necessary.

From an aerodynamic point, the coupe shape is the way to go because it produces less drag for the same downforce (or more downforce for the same drag). With the smaller engines next year, this aero advantage is perhaps even more important.

Since last year, open cars no longer have an advantage in pitstops because only 2 mechanics are allowed to do the tyre change (instead of 4 in the past).
Quote:
-The FIN: will it be obligate, or just an option? In LMP2 as well? Can the constructors build together this fin with the rear wing (like McLaren F1) or no?
Mandatory for the new LMP1 and LMP2. The current LMP cars are allowed to run next year with extra restrictions. They don't need the fin.

I believe the fin can be connected to the rear wing, but a F-duct is explicitely forbidden.
Quote:
-Is there a real chance that Audi and Pug will hold their R18 and 909 projects for a year and prefer R15 and 908 grandfathering? Which would worth better: long wait for the finalised restrictor rules and after proccessing the development for the new cars, or better to do it just for 2012 and using for an extra year the old cars?
Highly unlikely. The grandfathering will be such that the 2010 LMP1 cars will slower than the 2011 LMP1 cars. This is done as an incentive for manufacturers to build cars according to the new rules.
Quote:
-What is your mind about the hybrid rules? Is it clear enough for every contructor now? Will we see in 2011 only diesel+KERS cars or real Diesel Hybrids? What about the current Porsche, Pug and Zytek systems? Real hibrid just years later?
I don't understand how you differentiate between KERS and real hybrids. The hybrid system can only be operated with the accelerator pedal, i.e., a push-to-pass button is not allowed. So the system is always functioning as a way to increase power and/or decrease fuel consumption. In order to called a "hybrid" according the ACO, the car must be able to drive in the pitlane (400 m) at a speed of 60 km/h solely on the power of the hybrid system, so without the combustion engine.

The energy can be stored electrically (e.g., battery, supercap) or mechanically (e.g., flywheel). So the Williams Hybrid system that is used in the Porsche 911 hybrid is allowed.
Quote:
-Which are the really / best possible production engines for LMP2 in 2011? Road going diesels in P2 is a real possibility or only gasoline?
Only petrol. Normally aspirated up to 5.0 liter and turbo charged up to 3.2 liter.

Any GT2 engine can be used. HPD, Judd, IES (Nissan), Sodemo (BMW) will (probably) provide engines as well.
Quote:
-Is there any chance for GT1 and GT3 cars to go to Le Mans with this new rules? Or we will see only a GT2 field in 2011? G Apollo, MC12? F GT? R8 LMS? Alpina?
No, only GT2.