View Single Post
Old 7 Mar 2013, 02:10 (Ref:3215348)   #14
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't happening already, that an Erebus/SBR developed engine may taking shape, in much the same way FPR took over the UK sourced Prodrive grenades. I'm not suggesting Erebus take over the engine program, but the resources should be there to knock one up the Erebus and PW way if he is still there. There is a lot of world class knowhow in SBR and Aus on how to extract circuit ponies from 5 litres.
Agree!!! FPR was a shambless with the imported engine and it took that move to get them right. Mind you, by then their prized steerer had packed up for the greener pastures of T8.

I remember getting told once at HRT, that what they see on the dyno, doesn't ever transfer perfectly to the engine bay and the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
Somehow I reckon the outright numbers or the curves may not be the problem, as AMG would have had full engine profile targets in developing these powerpacks. It only takes a small delivery problem to consistently knock hundredths out of each straight, which quickly accumulate into tenths on the lap timer.
They should have a mountain of data and simulation software to be able to hit this nail on the head. If the Kelly's are talking about throwing another set of cams at their engine to help sort it out, sounds like they've pretty much got a handle on it, as the bottom end would almost be the same as the GM block in terms of spec's.

With AMG's "flat plane crank", exhaust, intake and firing order system, goodness knows what they're going to have to do to extract the addtional power out. At least they'll have SBR trace data from last year to see there weak points.