View Single Post
Old 20 Jul 2020, 12:57 (Ref:3989733)   #48
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I guess crash protection has a bit to do with it - you need something in front of the driver to absorb impact (so something looking like the old VW campers is a no go as there's no room for crumple zones).
That got me thinking - what does the EV VW Bus look like.

The driver is not quite as close to the ultimate front of the vehicle, but is fairly close.

A totally different vehicle type, but the majority of European trucks have the driver right at the front of the vehicle, albeit sat above the engine but still with little to protect them in a frontal impact with anything taller than six feet.

I'm sure the designers have already considered it, but could the front seats be above the power unit or fuel store in an EV, opening up more space in the rear half? Maybe it's similar to the 'need' for an engine sound - people want something they are familiar with and the generic compact SUV style is so common then Evs are following suit?

On the point of having sound to give awareness of a vehicle's presence, I agree that it aids safety. Not sure it needs to represent a combustion engine though - how about a digital sound that increases in volume based on proximity to other objects/pedestrians?