Old 21 Jan 2014, 12:42 (Ref:3356662)   #43
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
AntA35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Do the Groups 2 and A cars run on period correct construction or are they running modern slicks? I agree that it would be great to run the correct tyre but the costs of doing so may well serve to reduce the grids. As much as I'd love to run slicks, I think if we all accept that Group 1 runs on the Toyo or Yoko, we can concentrate on filling the grids to the extent that we could achieve the necessary entries to run our own races rather than as a class.
Agreed Peter… the big but is will everyone agree that we can run Toyos/Yokos? I think the owner/driver (including myself) will be content to go this route, but it's those who make the decisions that we need to convince. My research into the use of slicks is purely motivated by the potential that we won't actually manage to achieve a common agreement to use Toyo/Yoko tyres (I appreciate that is somewhat negative thinking), but ultimately the next best option (in my mind at least) is to see if we can get the current available slicks to work and equal, perhaps improve on the Toyo/Yoko option. The point being there could be little argument to using slicks if they were used in period if Toyo/Yoko are perceived as modern.

The downside to which you and Gordon have alluded… slicks may well be the correct type of tyre to use, but they will probably be more expensive and will take many hours of suspension tweaks and set up development to get them to work in positive way. That's if we can get them to work at all! It is for these reasons that I think the research is both interesting and possibly necessary.