Thread: MSV F3 Cup
View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2014, 13:47 (Ref:3414769)   #86
RobManser
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Berkshire
RobManser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could I ask a few questions about these cars please? The running costs mentioned earlier (race entry fees, fuel, tyres etc) seemed reasonable, but I did notice a £17k engine rebuild mentioned at one point! Could anyone elaborate on that? Do people rebuild their own engines at home as with lower formulae, or is this strictly engine builder territory? How many hours use do people normally get between rebuilds?

What are spares availability and costs like?

Finally, one of the reasons I quit racing was that I just didn't fit in the cars properly and I found that it seriously got in the way of going faster (or safety for that matter). What are the later carbon tubbed F3 cars like for space? I've always hoped they'd have more room that the mid to late 90s single seaters that I used to drive. I'm only 1.77m (5'10") and just under 70kg, but have very long legs and wide feet and I always struggled - quite often my feet were getting stuck in the pedal box (not nice at the end of a straight!), I often struggled to change gear and I was usually sat bolt upright.

I'm a few years away from having the money to return to racing just yet, but club F3 could be something for me to aim for in the future. I'd be thinking of what I always used to do, which was 4 or 5 races a year tops and a few tests, just to keep the costs down.