View Single Post
Old 18 Jan 2015, 11:01 (Ref:3493780)   #734
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
A bit off-topic as it's 1/76 scale, but Oxford Diecast have recently done a nice little set of two of the 1969 season works race Minis and accompanying race transporter.

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/76/images/76BMC003.jpg

The transporter modelled is one that was converted in 1967 or so from one of the fleet of vehicles BMC ran as Mobile Training Units in the early 60's.

Oxford had already released the training unit version, and the bodyshell is made in two parts- the lower half of the body as a metal casting, and the upper half as a plastic moulding, which allows for flush glazing, and has enabled them to do the race transporter conversion as well, by producing an alternative top half moulding, and working tailgate.

The join between the two halves looks a bit obvious in the photo, if you look at the back corner- but that could be an assembly problem on the example in the photo, as I've got the first release of the transporter late last year (in a later BL Special Tuning blue livery), and mine is much better. The vertical join between the metal casting and the plastic moulding for the rear valance that supports the tailgate does still stand out, but overall it's a nice model that looks the part- (and it will take two Minis!) and I don't anticipate seeing one in 1/43 anytime soon...

Compared to 1/43 models, the Minis are probably a bit on the crude side- although we are talking about models barely an inch-and-a-half long here.... Overall the shape looks pretty decent, and they're nicely finished (Again, I've not seen this version in the metal yet, but do have an earlier release in 1968 Monte Carlo Rally guise). Probably the worst feature is the way they've represented the Minilite wheels. They represent the cars that finished 1-2 at the Salzburgring in October '69 with John Rhodes and John Handley.

For Mini fans, there's also a 3-car set of the works cars from the 1969 Tour de France available.